Glossop Parish Church ( All Saints) , Old Glossop.
Extracts from "Neath Ancient Moss" by friends of Glossop Parish Church and from Glossop, the Official Handbook 1948
There have been several church buildings on this site, probably since shortly after the Norman conquest. The present structure is the result of a rebuilding programme which began in 1831 to replace a late mediaeval church. The first stage in the rebuilding was in 1831 to replace the nave using the old buildings as quarry.
The chancel followed shortly afterwards but the original short tower and spire was kept for a further twenty-two years before it too was replaced. The nave of 1831 was a very poor building. There was a move to replace it when the tower was rebuilt in 1854, and again in 1887 but money was not forthcoming and it waited until 1914 to be rebuilt. The chancel was rebuilt and extended to its present length in 1923.
The parish registers date back to 1620. It is recorded that William Bagshaw, the ";Apostle of the Peak" was Vicar of Glossop.
This is the present All Saints Parish Church, and owes its place in history as being built by three generations of one family of architects (namely the Hadfields) over a period of 70 years starting as early as 1837
It is rumored that the original mediaeval church which was built after the Norman conquest was built on an ancient piece of holy ground. This of course was common practice by the early Christians who were trying to destroy by integration all traces of the "Old Religion".
This head which is under protection of a housholder in Old Glossop was found near Mossey Lea and other primitive carved stone heads where found in the Vicarage garden among stones that had been taken from the original Christian Mediaeval Church area.
This is more proof that although the early Christians had taken in the new religion they did not really trust it enough to not include some of their ancient heads in the foundations as an appeasement to the "Old Religion".
The wooden Offices at Haukshead Mills where bought by Mr Jackson from the Parish Church where they had been used as a protective nave, during remedial work on the church
Parish Church Building of nave c1913 Parish Church Dewsnap memorial Church Street Laying of Chancel foundation stone 1923 Parish Church from NW Adam Pyle-Wilson Parish Church Font Parish Church nave c1918 Laying the chancel founadtion stone 1923 Parish Church c1835 Laying chancel foundation stone 1923 Rehearsal for laying chancel foundation stone 1923 Parish Church Altar and reredos c1978 Charles Dudley Hart Choir processing past Parish Church Glossop Parish Church c1975 Old Glossop Churchyard Old Glossop Church Street Old Glossop Parish Church and Old Cross Old Glossop font Old Glossop Path Parish Church Parish Church Gates Parish Church Nave c1912 Glossop Parish Church from west 1914 1914ext All Saints from Wesley St[FD] All Saints Parish Church bell[FD] A Sainta Parade Ancient Stone head Chancel Plan Chancel Elevation SE Chancel Plan exterior1 exterior2 exterior3 exterior4 Glossop Parish Church from thes choolhouse1904 Groups at Parish church[FD] Image15 interior1 Laying_the_chancel_founadtion_stone_1923 medieval _stained_glass modern _stained_glass Old Glossop Church High Altar Old Glossop Church porch Old Glossop Churchyard from south Old Glossop Churchyard old glossop PC after 1924 2 old glossop PC after 1924 Parish Church post 1924 Parish church after 1924[FD] Parish Church Choir and officers c1959 Parish Church Christmas Card 1910 Parish Church Christmas Card 1922 Obverse Parish Church Christmas Card 1922 Reverse Parish Church Easter Card 1921 Obverse Parish Church Easter Card 1921 Reverse Parish Church Easter Card 1923 Obverse Parish Church Easter Card 1923 Reverse Parish Church Easter Card 1924 Obverse Parish Church Easter Card 1924 Reverse Parish Church from pre 1914 Parish Church from SE pre 1914 Parish Church Sunday School Sermons leaflet 1910 Outside Parish Church Sunday School Sermons leaflet 1914 (1) Parish_Church_remains_of_medieval_spire ParshChurchc1908 Prossesion 1 GLOSSOP ALL SS PROPOSED S ELEVATION 1913 GLOSSOP ALL SS S ELEVATION ALL SAINTS CHURCHOG1849 Tempory Nave Wedding1912 jQuery Slideshow by VisualLightBox.com v5.3