Return to Long Gone Pubs Page


Ring o' Bells, Old Cross


Ring O'Bells

Built about 1800, it was owned in 1851 by John Des Jardines who in the 1851 Census was described as aged 46, an agent to an assurance officer with a housekeeper and two servants. Six years later in White's 1857 Directory for Derbyshire it was listed as a beerhouse run by John Atkinson. In the 1861 Census he was described as a master joiner with a wife Mary and employed three men.

In 1872 Thomas Marsden was the owner with John still the licensee but five years later he died and his widow Mary assumed responsibility. In 1891 Thomas Marsden took out a new 999year lease but died the following year. Mary Atkinson also died in 1894 and Thomas Marsden's son Elija put the pub up for sale. It was bought by Brooke Fumiss of the Albion for £400 and later sold to Openshaw Brewery.

In June 1907 when it was referred for Compensation it consisted of a taproom, bar parlour, bar, kitchen, back kitchen and cellar, it sold three barrels of beer per week. In stating the case against the pub the Chief Constable said that the licensee had been convicted for selling during prohibited hours. This offence occurred on the Sunday morning when the Mayor Councillor Alfred Garside attended the Parish Church to be churched according to custom at the commencement of his year of office. Some members of the procession and others seeing the door of the pub was open went into the pub for a drink instead of listening to the sermon. However despite the eloquent pleas of Francis Gordon Knowles in the defence of the licence the pub closed on 7th December 1907.

John Atkinson -1877

William Allen 1897-1901

Mary Atkinson 1877-1894

Mary Allen 1901-1903

Richard Lane 1894-1897

Mary Howard (Allen) 1903-1907


Return to Long Gone Pubs Page