Peartree Inn, High Street East
Built in 1818 the first mention as a pub is in Hamnett's notes, where he describes a report of the prospect of a riot by spinners in 1830 in pursuit of a standard rate of pay. A detachment of the 10Ul Hussars and the 4th Regiment of Foot were quartered in Mr. Wood's mill and the Officers were quartered at the King's Arms (now the Peartree Inn) kept by John Woolley an old pensioner of the Lifeguards. Ten years later in the 1841 Census a Mary Woolley, possibly his daughter was listed as a beerseller of Howardtown.
The next mention is in the 1855 Post Office Directory when George Scholes was shown as the licensee. He was also the owner of the Bull's Head Inn at Charlesworth and of Glory Scholes a famous dog who was buried at Rocks Farm in 1859 and was reputedly the proud mother of 170 pups many of whom attended the internment with black ribbons round their necks. George also ran a Perpetual Money Society with shares of £1 and subscriptions of 1/- per month. At this time it was also called the Botanical Tavern.
Although in Octobcr 1859 the executors of the late Samuel Collier put it up for Sale by Auction "all that commodious and well accustomed beerhouse known as the Pear Tree Tavern at present occupied by George Scholes as tenant".
Scholes bought the pub and remained as licensee until 1874 when John Horn took over, a year later John Ford became licensee. He was followed by Thomas Foster the Derbyshire Cricketer during whose tenancy the pub was bought by Gartside's Brewery.
In 1897 Robert Moore took over but tragically died a few weeks later aged 45, he had been a weaver at Wood's Mill before becoming licensee and was a hard working member of Glossop Old Band, his widow Martha took over until 1902 when she also died. The licence then passed to George Dale whose youngest daughter Sarah Alice had married Martha's son Fred, on George's death in 1909 his widow Ann took over until 1915.
A photograph taken about this time shows it was originally two houses with a bricked up doorway on the left hand side now rendered over.
The pub was unsuccessfully referred for Compensation in 1910 but finally succumbed when it was referred in March 1925, its licence expired on 7lh January 1926 when Jabez Parkin was the licensee. Renewal was refused on the grounds of redundancy and structural unsuitability.
The premises were later used as offices by Newton & Heap, Motor Engineers. Its present occupiers are Glossop Tyre and Battery.