Arundel Arms, Cemetery Road
Built in September 1858, James Bridge successfully applied for a licence for the Cemetery Inn in 1859, it was granted "owing to the accommodation required by parties interring their dead at the cemetery" which had opened on the 17th July 1859.
On the 5th November 1859 he held a Tea Party to celebrate, admission 6d, tea on the table at 5pm. followed by dancing at 7.30pm. The following week he placed the following advert in the local paper the Record "James Bridge begs to inform his friends and the public that he has opened his New House for the sale of spirits, ales, porters etc. at Allmans Heath".
In I860 it was called the Arundel Arms and consisted of a snug, parlour, tap room and sitting room with Sarah Bridge one of his daughters acting as housekeeper. In 1861 John Bridge was listed as the licensee but two years later it was advertised "to be let, apply to David Bridge of Rose Green". The next mention of a licensee is John Roe in 1867. Thomas Foster who played cricket for Derbyshire between 1873 and 1884 was licensee from 1878 until 1881 when he moved down to the Pear Tree in Glossop.
In 1935 Arthur Roe sold the pub to Richard Clarkes, Reddish Brewery, their only pub in Glossop. By April 1957 it was considered structurally unsuitable, it didn't have mains water or electricity, the brewery said it would cost £3000 to put in good order, trade was not good with only one barrel per week plus bottles, wines and spirits.
The pub known locally as the "Deadmans" was therefore referred for Compensation on the grounds that it was not structurally suited to modem day requirements and the licence expired on 14th December 1957. Arthur Currums was the last licensee having joined his army colleague Lloyd Jackson who had been licensee from 1945 till 1950.
In the 1950's a shed at the rear was used as a changing room for cricket teams playing in the Glossop Industrial Cricket League at the ground across the road where the school playing fields are now. Cricket teams seem to have been attracted to the Deadmans as when James Hadfield was licensee the Glossop Farmers Cricket Club used the pub as their headquarters. After a period as a private house it became the Arundel Boarding Kennels.
James Bridge 1859- Thomas Cuthbert 1923-1928
John Roe -1878 Douglas Brown 1928-1932
Thomas Foster 1878-1881 Arthur H. Roe 1932-1935
Luke Darwent 1881-1890 George Lewis 1935
James Bennett 1890-1892 Harry Torkington 1935-1944
James Hadfield 1892-1916 Joseph Knight 1944-1945
Tom Lawson 1916-1917 Lloyd Jackson 1945-1950
Henry Newton 1917-1923 Arthur G. Currums 1950-1957